About Me

My photo
“ Basketball is my passion“ Coaching is where I feel at peace with all things. Coaching to me is not about winning and losing but rather about development and seeing the improvement throughout the years. I hope my years of experience will allow me to share some wisdom with other lovers of the game of Basketball. Twitter : @nextgenballer Instagram : @nextgenerationballer

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Style of Coaching Preference

Teaching vs. Adjusting

I was watching my eldest tryout for a team that gets to travel to the states for a weekend and found myself asking myself, “What is better coaching to teach or coaching to adjust?”

Allow me to explain , as I was witnessing these 17 year old girls doing basic dribbling drills I was amazed that some of them were still unable to perform some fundamental two ball dribbles that I have my 9 year olds completing I began to think that one of the wonders of coaching is being able to make each player better in some way throughout the year.
It also reminded me how much I miss coaching, well that is a whole other subject.

But you see , when I coach beginners I tend to focus on teaching the fundamentals of the game while with the elite team I am applying for it is more a matter of making minor when adjustments to their game and more focus on game strategies. I am wondering if I will miss the teaching aspect of the game …..

I guess only time will tell .

No comments:

Post a Comment