About Me

My photo
“ Basketball is my passion“ Coaching is where I feel at peace with all things. Coaching to me is not about winning and losing but rather about development and seeing the improvement throughout the years. I hope my years of experience will allow me to share some wisdom with other lovers of the game of Basketball. Twitter : @nextgenballer Instagram : @nextgenerationballer

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Coaching ......does it make an impact ?

I was watching the ultimate fighter series last night and was quite surprised at the reaction of grown men to something that you would think only young people would be affected by. These grown men who train to beat other people up were genuinely upset that their coach was fired from the series. Not only were they upset by the dismissal of coach Tito they also seemed saddened when he didn’t say goodbye to them. Now he did eventually come back to say bye to the guys but watching them get emotional over someone they have only know for five weeks was quite the experience.

I have known from a firsthand perspective how much influence adults have as coaches as sometimes we are put in the same category as teachers, which I like to think is a key role of any coach, to teach. I have witnessed firsthand where coaches can manage to get young children to do simple things like even putting on their coats before they go outside when they have been told by their parents to do the exact same thing but the child for some reason listens to the coach before the parent. I am not saying this is right but rather as a coach it is important to realize the dramatic impact we can have on our player both good and bad.

I try not to take myself too seriously but I do take the role of coaching very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment