About Me

My photo
“ Basketball is my passion“ Coaching is where I feel at peace with all things. Coaching to me is not about winning and losing but rather about development and seeing the improvement throughout the years. I hope my years of experience will allow me to share some wisdom with other lovers of the game of Basketball. Twitter : @nextgenballer Instagram : @nextgenerationballer

Friday, July 16, 2010

Physical vs Mental

Still no news on coaching.
I went to watch the provincial u17 girls team work out today and while they were amazing to watch I couldn't help to think how similar they are to the rest of the basketball players who play the game.

During one stretch near the middle of practice they were required to make 8 out of 12 shots as a team and yet they were unable to do so. So naturally the punishment was running and then do it again. This happened three times until the team finally made 11 out of 12 shots. A little later in practice they tried again but once again they were unsuccessful.

The coaches kep stressing the importance of keeping thier routine and not changing anything but watching the girls you could tell they were rushing the shots.

It was not a matter of themn being unable to physically doing it but more a matter of focus, focus , focus and more focus. There comes a time when your mental game has to be just as strong or perhaps even stronger than your physical game.

Shooting fouls shots for the elite player has to become a mental exercise and once they can realize that they will taking a step closer to being a complete player.

No comments:

Post a Comment